I have never made anything with Poppy Seeds.
Sure, I’ve had Costco’s Poppy Seed Muffins, or a poppy seed bagel… but I’ve never made a Poppy Seed anything – Do they add any nutritional value? Hmm. Either way, I love ’em! And of course, as are most of Grandma’s recipes – this one was quick and easy to do.
This recipe makes a dense cake, much like a Banana Bread and would work well as a sweet cake served at Breakfast time or Brunch with a group of people. I dusted it with icing sugar for a nice look, but I do not think I would ice it with buttercream frosting; It just isn’t that type of cake. Although, a nice runny sugar icing would work really well, and I think Grandma had a recipe for that too… Hmm, looks like I may make this again!
Here is Grandma’s Recipe Card:
And here is the printable recipe:
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- 1 package Lemon or Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup of Oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 package Instant lemon Pudding
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oils, eggs, pudding. Beat on Med High for 4 minutes.
- Add the poppy seeds and beat 20 seconds until mixed.
- Pour into a greased & floured Bundt Pan or Angel Food Cake Pan.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 45 – 55 min until Toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Invert & turn out.